Black Hills of South Dakota
The Black Hills, located in the southwestern portion of South Dakota, are a small, isolated mountain range that pops out of the Great Plains and is a treasure chest full of fascinating landmarks. The centerpiece of the Black Hills is undoubtedly Mount Rushmore. But this famously sculptured mountain is just one of many attractions, including the Wind Cave National Park, the classic mining town of Deadwood, Crazy Horse Monument, Custer State Park and more. Nearby the Black Hills is Devil's Tower National Monument and Badlands National Park.
Head out with Southwest Adventure Tours for an intimate six-day tour to get a glimpse of all these places. We know the back roads through the Black Hills and all the special places to stop at and enjoy. With the stone sculptures of the U.S. presidents and the lore of Custer’s Last Stand, the places you’ll see around the Black Hills are what has made up pure Americana for centuries.
- Badlands National Park
- Mount Rushmore National Memorial
- Evening Lighting Ceremony at Mount Rushmore
- Crazy Horse Monument
- Devils Tower National Monument
- Ride on the Black Hills Central Railroad
- Visit to Deadwood
- Wind Cave National Park
- Jeep Safari through Custer State Park
- Services of a Southwest Adventure Tours tour director – a professional tour guide
- Comfortable transportation
- 5 nights hotel accommodations
- 5 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 2 dinners
- Fees for attractions (train ride & jeep safari)
- Park entrance fees
- Airport transfers
- Gratuities for included meals and activities
- Applicable taxes and fees
- Day 1: Arrive in Rapid City, SD
- Day 2: Badlands National Park
- Day 3: Mount Rushmore National Memorial, Black Hills Central Railroad & Crazy Horse Monument
- Day 4: Devils Tower National Monument & Deadwood
- Day 5: Wind Cave National Park & Custer State Park
- Day 6: Journey Home
Today your Black Hills experience begins as you arrive at the Rapid City Airport and meet your Southwest Adventure Tours tour director. Transfer to your hotel in the heart of the Black Hills near Keystone and check in for a 5 night stay. Then join the group for a welcome dinner.
K-Bar-S Lodge, Keystone, SD | Meals: D
Take a short drive to Badlands National Park for sightseeing and hiking. After this incredible park, make a stop at world-famous Wall Drug for lunch and some free time. Then stop in Rapid City and visit the Prairie Edge Trading Company. There will be time to explore the wonderful shops and art galleries of Rapid City. Return to Keystone for overnight.
K-Bar-S Lodge, Keystone, SD | Meals: B, L
Start the day with sightseeing at Mount Rushmore National Memorial. Next, board an 1880s train at the Black Hills Central Railroad for a historic ride through the Black Hills. Then it’s off to visit the Crazy Horse Monument, a colossal but still unfinished project that honors this famous Sioux warrior. Return to Keystone and enjoy some free time to relax and have dinner on your own, then return to Mt. Rushmore and experience the Evening Lighting Ceremony, a touching and patriotic presentation.
K-Bar-S Lodge, Keystone, SD | Meals: B
This morning, travel to Wyoming on your way to Devils Tower National Monument for touring and a scenic walk around this magnificent monolith. Return to South Dakota and arrive in the notorious old west town of Deadwood for some more touring. After some free time to explore on your own, return to Keystone.
K-Bar-S Lodge, Keystone, SD | Meals: B
Begin the day by visiting Wind Cave National Park. The park is known for the vast, underground “Wind Cave”, one of the longest and most complex caves in the world. Named for barometric winds at its entrance, this maze of passages is home to “boxwork”, a unique formation rarely found elsewhere. Above, you may see wildlife such as Bison, Elk, Pronghorn and more. Lunch will be on your own today. This afternoon, arrive at Custer State Park and the State Game Lodge where you will board Jeeps for a fun Buffalo Jeep Safari through the Custer State Park. After viewing a wide variety of wildlife, return to Keystone and join the group for a farewell dinner.
K-Bar-S Lodge, Keystone, SD | Meals: B, D
After breakfast, transfer to the Rapid City Airport for your departure flight home.
- Items of a personal nature (alcohol, room service, etc.)
- Meals (other than listed in the itinerary)
- Optional activities
- Gratuities for the tour director
Arrival / Departure Information
- Arrival Location: Rapid City Airport (RAP)
- Arrival Time: by 3:00 PM on day 1 of tour
- Departure Location: Rapid City Airport (RAP)
- Departure Time: Any time on day 6
- Guests should be comfortable walking on uneven terrain for an average of 1 to 3 miles at a time.
- Elevation gain and loss averages between 50 to 300 ft over the course of the areas visited during this tour.
- Touring and overnight locations are above 6,000 to 8,000 ft above sea level
- Deboard and board van each time at a viewpoint – a portable step will be available
- Please let us know if you have any other physical/health limitations or requirements
April 1 - October 31
- $2,599.00 Per Person Double Occupancy
- $3,199.00 Per Person Single Occupancy
- $2,425.00 Per Person Triple Occupancy
- $2,349.00 Per Person Quad Occupancy
2023 Departure Dates:
|May 8 - 13||July 3 - 8|
|May 15 - 20||July 10 - 15|
|May 22 - 27||July 17 - 22|
|May 29 - June 3||July 24 - 29|
|June 5 - 10||July 31 - August 5|
|June 12 - 17||August 7 - 12|
|June 19 - 24||August 14 - 19|
|June 26 - 31||August 21 - 26|