Romantic Danube River Cruise
Those longing for the romance of Old World Europe will get to travel into the very heart of the continent, where empires were built, kings and queens were crowned and some of the world’s greatest music was composed and performed by the likes of Mozart and Beethoven. Grand European cities like Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest forever remain timeless. Admire the beauty of Salzburg or the Czech Republic’s charming mountain town, Český Krumlov. From grand abbeys and fortresses perched high above the Danube to plentiful iconic UNESCO World Heritage Sites, be romanced by the Danube with all her regal and romantic splendor. Southwest Adventure Tours is chartering a boat with AMAWaterways so you can visit Austria, Germany, Hungary and Slovakia on this seven-night cruise.
Itinerary (With Three Nights in Prague Pre-Cruise):
You may also start the trip when the ship departs on Day 4
Arrive in Prague and check-in to your hotel.
Experience the wonders of Prague and its historic city center which is a recognized UNESCO World Heritage Site on your city tour or you can hike to the grand castle. See Rudolfinum and the Hundertwasser Dancing House. Visit the 1,000-year-old Prague Castle and St. Vitus before walking over the romantic Charles Bridge to the Old Market Square, where you will find the capital’s famous Astronomical Clock.
Beer has a long and illustrious history in the Czech Republic with the first brewery known to have existed in 993. Pilsner Urquell was created in 1842, being the first pilsner ever made, whilst Budweiser came into being in the city of Budweis. Beer is a core part of the country’s national identity, so much so the Czechs are the biggest consumers of beer in the world. The country is home to more than 100 breweries with a combination of big names and micro establishments offering a huge range of styles, so join a Czech beer tasting and discover for yourself what makes the Czech beer some of the very best in the world.
*Czech beer tasting may take place on Day 2 or Day 3 of this itinerary
Depart from Prague via motorcoach and enjoy a stop in Regensburg, one of Germany’s best-preserved medieval cities and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which you’ll discover on a guided walking tour showcasing the city’s architectural highlights, including the Old Town Hall and the Porta Praetoria. After touring Regensburg, continue your journey to Vilshofen, where you will board your luxury cruise ship. Cap the day off with an exclusive festive Oktoberfest celebration.
Meals: B, D
Explore Vilshofen’s beautiful old town before cruising to Passau, known as the “City of Three Rivers.” Join a walking tour or if you prefer to be more active, hike high into the hills for a visit to the “Veste Oberhaus,” Passau’s Castle Hill; or go on a River Inn bike tour.
Meals: B, L, D
The ship arrives in Linz where you’ll have several choices of excursions. For those who love The Sound of Music, enjoy a full-day excursion to Salzburg and tour the historic center, Mirabell Gardens, Residenz Square and the Old Market. En route to Salzburg, stop at Mondsee, home of the Basilica St. Michael, where the famous wedding scene in the movie was filmed. You may also choose to join a full-day excursion to the charming Czech mountain town of Český Krumlov, where you can stroll its cobblestone streets; marvel at the city’s picturesque Baroque and Renaissance-style buildings; and tour Krumlov Castle, one of Europe’s largest castle complexes. Following these full-day excursions, you may also choose to take a brief walking tour in Linz. Alternatively, join a walking tour through the old city center of Linz and by the Mozart House; or bike along the city’s famed “Cultural Mile” and the Danube.
Meals: B, L, D
Cruise through the Strudengau and Wachau valleys to Weissenkirchen, the gateway to Dürnstein. Once here, you can choose to join a walking tour in Dürnstein along its cobblestone streets to the Baroque Stiftskirche, and then visit Melk’s magnificent Benedictine Abbey. For the more active adventurer, you can opt to hike up to the fortress where Richard the Lionheart was once held or take a bike ride along the Danube through the Wachau Valley. As an alternative excursion, visit a local apricot grower, where you’ll enjoy the region’s finest apricot treats. Later in the evening, enjoy a special wine tasting of locally grown, world-renowned Riesling and Grüner Veltliner in Weissenkirchen.
Meals: B, L, D
The “City of Waltzes” offers a treasure trove of gems and your city tour showcases them, including the majestic Opera House and the former Imperial Palace. Your tour concludes in the historic city center with a visit to St. Stephen’s Cathedral. Or if you prefer a more active tour, take a guided bike ride through Vienna. During the afternoon, enjoy leisure time to further explore this iconic city.
Meals: B, L, D
Host to the crowning ceremonies of 11 Hungarian kings and queens between 1536 and 1830, Bratislava certainly has earned the title “Coronation City of Kings,” as you’ll discover during your walking tour. Or join a special “Tastes of Slovakia” tour. For a more active adventure, hike up to Bratislava Castle, offering magnificent views of the city.
Meals: B, L, D
Your city tour begins at Budapest’s Great Market Hall, where you’ll discover plenty of delicious food and shopping. Afterward, you’ll visit both the Buda (hilly) and Pest (flat) sides of the Danube River. You’ll see the 19th-century Chain Bridge, which connects the Buda district with Pest; and the UNESCO-designated Castle Hill district, which contains some of Budapest’s most important medieval monuments and museums. As an alternative choice, you can hike up to Castle Hill for breathtaking views of the city below.
Meals: B, L, D
Disembark the ship as you prepare for your flight home. Note: The Great Market Hall is closed on Sundays.
- 7 nights luxury accommodation in an outside stateroom (most with twin balconies)
- Entertainment-On-Demand in all staterooms featuring free high-speed internet access, movies, a music library and English language TV stations
- Mini-fridge, desk and sitting area
- Bottled water replenished daily
An Array of Amenities
- Wellness Activities with a dedicated Wellness Host leading various exercise classes as well as discussions on healthy eating and relaxation techniques, both on board and on shore.
- Personalized service from a highly trained Cruise Manager during both cruise and land programs
- Internet and Wi-Fi access
- Sun deck pool with swim-up bar and walking track
- Fitness room, massage services and hair salon
- Main Lounge with panoramic views and bar
- Daily entertainment including cultural performances
- All onboard dining in a variety of venues
- Regionally inspired cuisine made with locally sourced ingredients
- The Chef’s Table specialty restaurant
- Welcome Cocktail, Welcome Dinner, La Chaîne des Rôtisseurs Dinner, Captain's Cocktail and Gala Dinner
- La Chaîne des Rôtisseurs exclusive dining experience
- Unlimited fine wine, beer and soft drinks with lunch and dinner
- Unlimited sparkling wine and fresh juice with breakfast
- Sip & Sail Cocktail Hour with complimentary wine, beer, spirits and soft drinks
- Tapas, sandwiches, snacks and refreshments served daily in the Main Lounge
A World of Exploration
- Immersive tours in every destination
- Gentle, regular, active and late-riser tour options
- Bike tours and hikes
- Special Interest Tours
- Knowledgeable guides
- Personal headset for easy exploration
- Airport transfers with purchase of air from AmaWaterways
|Pricing:||Double Occupancy||Single Occupancy||Port Fees||Pre-Night Package Double Occupancy||Pre Night Package Single Occupancy|
2024 Departure Dates:
October 21-28, 2024